Monday, March 12, 2012

Opportunities

I'M BACK! Sorry folks, the whole family got sick and then we went on a vacation. Then, I couldn't seem to get my groove back.

And, there is a very specific reason why I now have my groove back. An acquaintance from church simply said "I've read your blog several times." It was probably a pretty simple statement to her but it meant the world to me (granted, she just said she read it - she didn't follow it with "I like it" or "I don't like it" but I assume she did if she read it multiple times). She took an opportunity to say something to me about what I was doing in my daily life.

How many opportunities to encourage someone do we miss every day? I feel a twinge of shame when I think about it. Some days I don't feel like going to church and some of those times I decided to I met someone visiting or someone who needed me to be there - for prayer, encouragement, or just friendliness. Some days I pass people on the street asking for money. I think "I don't have cash but I can get them lunch." Some times I do but sometimes I choose not to. Why? Especially when I know the feeling after I HAVE done it. When we're at the park with friends and at another bench a woman is sitting alone, why do we not choose to make her apart of the group? Is it really that uncomfortable to ask her to join you? The worst that could happen is she'll say no. Surely we can handle that if it happens.

So, let's work to not have missed opportunities; intentional or not. We may truly be changing some one's entire day; thus their view, their treatment of others, and ultimately their idea of God.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. Hebrew 13:2


2 comments:

  1. Yes! I do enjoy reading it! I didn't have a chance to tell you, but I think it's very interesting to hear your perspectives on Bipolar Disorder. Growing up, my best friend's older brother was (is) bipolar and I can remember how much it affected their family. I wasn't close with him, so it was easy to be judgmental. (Not just toward him but on the way his family reacted) Reading your perspective has made me reconsider so much.. and has helped me to be more understanding. (I also of course like your posts that have nothing to do with that... like today's!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, hate to be a stickler here, but you KNOW it has been over a month since you posted anything??.... Tried really hard on April 12 to NOT say something but..... ;)

    ReplyDelete